Slide 1
Slide 2
Slide 1

Legal Documents That You May Need Translated

Legal document translation is a very important and growing field in the translation industry. Legal document translation services vary from relatively repetitive yet important things like driver license translations or translations of educational qualifications right through to more important documents for court proceedings.

Where to translate documents

Most document translation services these days tend to offer rapid, online services. You typically upload the documents you want to be translated and these are returned to you when completed. This allows you to get legal documents translated from just about anywhere in the world where there is an internet signal.
This might not be enough if you need certified translation services. For example, these five examples of legal documents may be needed for an employment application or visa request:
●  birth certificates
●  marriage certificates
●  educational qualifications
●  employment record
●  proof of good character (e.g. a police check).
You are unlikely to find that an online translation agency is able to deal with certifying uploaded documents as they will need to see the original documents. The question of where to translate documents also depends on the degree of complexity of the documents. It may be useful to talk to the translator’s face to face to ensure that the translation task is fully understood.

Legal document translation services

The cost of translation services depends on the skills needed for translation. Detailed legal translation tends to be more expensive than business translation services as there are usually fewer reliable skilled legal translators who have sufficient breadth of experience to offer this sort of service.

Common legal document translation

The five personal documents listed above are just some of the most common types of legal translations needed. The rules that govern the translation for different government and private agencies and organizations around the world differ, but generally, government requirements tend to be stiffer than those for private organizations. For example, if you wish to apply for a temporary or permanent residence visa for Australia there are strict regulations about what needs to be provided with your application and how these should be translated if they are not in English.

Australia has a national accreditation authority and any translation of the five personal documents and any others required must be translated by an accredited translator. This is not quite the same in the U.S. where there is no need to use a licensed or accredited translator as long as you don’t do the translation all by yourself. Australian and U.S. colleges and universities may not be quite as exacting in their requirements as their respective immigration offices.